|FAR HTML 5 - (shareware) FAR is a collection of File, HTML & Help related utilities. An essential tool for HTML, HTML Help 1.x, MS Help 2.x and MS Help Viewer 1.x authors and developers. Now with Unicode and MS Help Viewer 1.0 support.|
|mshcMigrate - (sharware) Migrate older help projects to MS Help Viewer 1.0 (Help 3). Plus many essential utilities for help authors and integrators.|
|H2Reg - (shareware) Register MS Help 2.x files for Visual Studio 7/8/9. When you get sick of banging your head against Microsoft's MSI Registration, we have a dead easy solution that does not involve MSI (Microsoft Installer).|
|H3Viewer - (freeware) DExplorer style viewer for MS Help Viewer 1.0 (aka Help 3).|
to the home of The Helpware Group. Here you will find
support for MS Help technologies as well as Delphi and
C#. We are based in Melbourne Australia. Enjoy the site.
All comments welcome.
- Rob Chandler [MS Help MVP] - Support Page | Blog | Wiki
MVP Related links:
Getting start with help
- Windows Help Basics - by MVP Pete Lees.
- www.HelpMVP.com - Meet the other Help MVPs. Lots of resources.
- www.MSHelpWiki.com > Support Groups - MS Help KB wiki run by the help MVPs. Discussion groups.
- www.helpmaster.info - Free and shareware help tools.
UI/UA (User Interface, User Assistance) Articles:
This Helpware paper looks at what is happening with User Interface and User Assistance design while travelling the road to Longhorn (now Windows Vista). Contains essential information for all designers.
Microsoft links on UI/UA
MS Help Viewer 1.0 (MS Help 3) is the new Help system for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010. Due for release late 2009, early 2010.
- MS Help Viewer 1.0 Info - Lots of deep info on MS Help Viewer 1.0.
- mshcMigrate - Free tools for exploring and working with MS Help Viewer 1.0.
- H3Viewer - (freeware) DExplorer style viewer for MS Help Viewer 1.0.
- Download FAR
HTML 5.0 - FAR v5 now supports for MS Help
See FAR v5 (build 698) screen shots.
WinHelp has been deprecated and no longer ships with Windows Vista and later.
As far as Microsoft help goes HTML Help is now the only choice for general application help.
- HH Tech Info - Release dates etc.
- HH FAQ - Lots of deep info on HTML Help. - Everything you ever wanted to know about HTML Help.
- How to use HH Full Text Search - Yes there are instructions for HH search.
- Context Help Ids | ..In Merged Help - How to setup context help IDs in a help project. And in merged help.
- Merged Help (Document Sets) - The art of combining CHMs together at run time to appear as one help file.
- HH1.x Chms in .NET Apps - For C# and VN .NET programmers.
- Delphi & HTML Help - For Delphi programmers.
- How to Create "What's This" Help - What's this help using KeyHelp, HTML Help and Delphi.
- Linking To CHM - Some Notes
- HTML Help Beginners Guide - written by fellow Aussie, Simon Law.
- Deploying HH 1.x (& IE Silent Install) - From the days when IE was not always available on the PC.
- Delphi Programming the HH 1.x API - Verbose chapter on Help programming using Delphi (with examples).
- VB/VBS Programming the HH 1.x API - Help programming for VB and VBS by MVP David Liske.
MS Help 2.x is the help system for Visual Studio 2002/2003/2005 & 2008.
- MS Help 2 Information - Deep info on MS Help 2.
- Version Info - Release dates etc.
- H2 FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions.
- MS Help2 Collection Tutorial - New to Help 2? This demo & tutorial may be just what you need.
- Attributes & Filters - Learn all about topic file attributes required by MS Help 2.
- VS .NET Dynamic Help - Michael Waltuch takes us though setting up a MS Help 2 project.
- DExplore COM Interface - The Microsoft H2 Viewer has a COM interface that you can program.
- Collections + Borland .NET - How to integrate into Borland Delphi's Help 2 documentation.
- VS 2005 Free H2 Authoring - Goodbye H2 Workshop, hello HelpStudio Lite by Innovasys.
- Customizing VS 2005 Search - How to modify search filters in DExplore 2005.
- FAR Collection Wizard - Generate & register collection level files required to ship with .HxS help files.
- Authoring for Office 12 Help - Who says you can't add your own content to Office 12 help.
- Programming DExplore 2005 - Interfacing to MS Help 2 DExplore Viewer using its undocumented COM Interface.
Help system for Windows Vista. This help system is very similar to MS Help 2.
- Windows Vista AP Help Information - General info.
- Assistance Platform Help Team Blog - Unfortunately not updated anymore.
- WinHelp engine will not ship with Vista or Win 7 - See KB917607